[rt-users] Trouble with notification scrip

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Fri May 18 13:50:30 EDT 2007

At Friday 5/18/2007 01:33 PM, Kenneth Crocker wrote:
>Stephan,
>

>         I have another question; why all the references to
> QueueObj? On page 129 of the RT Essentials book (in reference to
> Transactions, I am assuming transactions generated by changing a
> field, etc.) it says "For updates that alter a field or custom
> field, field tracks what was changed". That sounds to me like all I
> should need to refer to is the name of the field, not what Queue it
> is in. I can't find an easy reference to this kind of relationship.
> I find that the RT Essentials book could do a MUCH better job of
> making some of this stuff easier to understand, like more specific
> examples and models of various code (like how to trigger a
> notification from a CF being changed or how to do that plus modify
> another field (custom or otherwise)). It would seem to me that for
> beginners like myself, simple little things like that would make a
> world of difference in our ability to get some simple modifications going.
>         Jesse, how about it? Is a new and updated release due out soon?
>
>Kenn
>LBNL

Hello Kenn,

RT allows you to have many custom fields with the same name - you
could have more than one queue with an "Approval-Status" custom
field, for example. So you need to specify the queue when getting a
custom field so that you get the right one. However, I just noticed
that RT allows you to have multiple fields with the same name in the
same queue, so the uniqueness of field name & queue is not enforced.
In reality though, you wouldn't choose to have the same name for
multiple fields in a queue, so the assumption that queue and field
name uniquely identifies a queue-custom field is probably a safe one.

Steve