[rt-users] RT 4

Robert Long rlong at bluegecko.net
Fri May 18 14:16:11 EDT 2007

Ah, I would like to disagree with part of your post regarding who Nagios
is written ;

Nagios is written in C.  It has a built in perl interpreter to run
plugins that are written in perl faster, but even so, all of the
official plugins that come with Nagios are written in in C as well.
Nagios is not written in Perl:

# find nagios-2.9/ -name *.c | wc -l
50

Using the 'Blue' java port of nagios wouldn't eliminate the use of perl
in any fashion - the only components of Nagios that use perl are
contributed and custom plugins - if you're using those under Nagios or
under 'Blue', they're still going to be perl/lisp/python/ruby/whatever.

Another thing I can't help but think about is; how is changing the
language from anything to perl going to make it not open sourced?

I'm sorry you work / live in a world where open sourced software and
perl are looked down upon and the policy is to avoid such things.

.r'