OT: Open Minds in IT IN CA: was (Re: [rt-users] RT 4)

Robert G. Werner rwerner at usscript.com
Fri May 18 23:57:14 EDT 2007

Baytalskiy, Sal wrote:
> I wish you were right...

[snip]
It certainly hasn't been my experience.  My bosses really like it when
I make something happen and it doesn't cost them much of anything but
my time.

Certainly,  my bosses aren't open source zealots.  We are an Oracle
shop.  But ever place I've worked,  when I bring in important
improvements in network reliability and monitoring or now trouble
ticket tracking with RT the response has been ecstatic and the fact
that it doesn't cost anything has been huge.

The added luxury of being able to modify and look at the code has been
icing on the cake.

My experiences have mostly been in relatively small shops (50 - 300
people) over the last 10 years in California so take what I say with
an enormous grain of salt.

But really,  to me,  it sounds like there are better jobs out there
for you.

--
Robert G. Werner (Network Systems Administrator)
rwerner at usscript.com

559.244.3734

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
		-- Cartoon caption