OT: Open Minds in IT IN CA: was (Re: [rt-users] RT 4)

Baytalskiy, Sal Sal.Baytalskiy at AIG.com
Sat May 19 00:29:52 EDT 2007

I hear that.
We have another piece of software that we're supposed to be using for ticket
tracking.
Nobody really uses it except for Production stuff (we simply have to)
because it is difficult to use, slow, poorly configured, list goes on.
Sure, they paid 6 figures for it - so naturally its the next best thing. The
only problem is - they can't make anyone use it :-)
Just goes to show...
And then i set up RT in about half a day and run a POC internally in our
group.
The only management person who's seen it is our manager because we just
can't let anyone know we're using something that hasn't been approved.
And we all know it won't ever be approved, no matter how good it is.
So the strategy is simple: we'll be using it until we collect enough data
that we can demonstrate that RT is essential to the grou's operation.
Think about this: how much wiggling and maneuvering needs to be done to
simply improve productivity of one of the most important IT departments.
How much time is wasted on this stupid strategizing when it could've been
spent doing actual work...
Oh, here's the kicker - the only reason my manager was able to let us use RT
is because of RTFM. 'Cause we needed one place to store the group's
collective wisdom.
And RT's ticket tracking functionality is basically presented as a
by-product...weird...

  _____