[rt-users] Installing request-tracker3.6 on Debian

FL lengyel at gmail.com
Sat May 19 15:51:32 EDT 2007

To RT admins and developers whom it may concern:

I was installing request-tracker3.6 on Debian lenny/sid, and noticed that
there were additional  steps that I had to take that were not obvious from
   /usr/share/doc/request-tracker3.6/NOTES.Debian.gz
I'll attempt to recall them.

I used mod_fastcgi. For this I had to do the following.

1. Put the include statement AHEAD of the virtual host section

   LoadModule fastcgi_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_fastcgi.so
   AddModule  mod_fastcgi.c
   Include      "/etc/request-tracker3.6/apache-fastcgi.conf"

   NameVirtualHost *:8081
  <VirtualHost *:8081>
       ServerAdmin ######l@ <######l at m>yyy.zzz <######l at yyy.zzz>
       DocumentRoot /usr/share/request- tracker3.6/html
       ErrorLog     /var/log/request-tracker3.6/rt_error
       CustomLog    /var/log/request-tracker3.6/rt_access common
  </VirtualHost>

Error messages went away after performing the following steps, but
no request tracker page materialized until the include was ahead
of the VirtualHost section

2. install  libapache-mod-fastcgi
         apt-get install libapache-mod-fastcgi
3. CGI/Fast.pm was missing so I had to install libcgi-fast-perl
         apt-get install libcgi-fast-perl

4  In /etc/request-tracker3.6/apache-fastcgi.conf
don't believe the comment
# These are set properly by the libapache-mod-fastcgi package
#AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi
#FastCgiIpcDir /var/run/fastcgi
and go ahead and uncomment the lines, because the comment
is wrong! If you leave them commented, you will find that
   libapache-mod-fastcgi  installs /etc/apache/conf.d/fastcgi.conf
which has the line
   FastCgiIpcDir /var/lib/apache/fastcgi
which will then need to be commented out to avoid a conflict

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
  AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
  #FastCgiWrapper /usr/lib/apache/suexec
#  the next directory is already defined as /etc/apache/logs/fastcgi/
#  FastCgiIpcDir /var/lib/apache/fastcgi
</IfModule>

And if you don't uncomment those lines, then
you need to create the directory /etc/apache./logs/fastcgi
and make it writable by the apache user (in my case
www-data) or there will be an error messge.

Fortunately /var/run has permissions
drwxrwxrwxt
so it is writable.

Cheers,