[rt-users] Combine scrips

Gene LeDuc gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue May 22 14:07:32 EDT 2007

Hi Kenn,

I think the basic issue is that you want to use a user-defined action AND
fire off an e-mail.  Since I've been able to do almost anything within a
template that I would want to do in a user-defined scrip action, I only use
user-defined actions when I'm not going to send an e-mail.  If there will
be one or more e-mails, I put the code (that I would have put into the
user-defined scrip action) into templates and cause them to trigger as many
other scrips as I have e-mails to send.

I do this by setting something (usually Priority) in the template, which
triggers another scrip that fires another template (with each template
sending off an e-mail).  Since I don't use the Priority field to actually
indicate priority, I use it instead to keep track of what stage a ticket is
at and move it through my workflow process.

For example:
1. Mail comes in, gets parsed by scrip.  Scrip populates CFs in ticket and
Priority gets set to 5.
2. Pri-5 triggers scrip/template that sends new-ticket alert to staff
members.  Template sets Status to open and Priority to 10.
3. Pri-10 triggers scrip/template that sends acknowledgment to
requestor.  Template sets Priority to 15.
4. Pri-15 triggers scrip/template that sends user a random password to
access RT.  Template sets Priority to 20.
If requestor sends reply with "reset" in body, scrip sets Priority to 15
(which causes step 4 to repeat and make a new password).
If staff member sends reply with "ok" in body, scrip sets Owner to staff
member and Priority to 25.
6. Pri-25 triggers scrip/template that sends mail to requestor saying job
is complete.  Template also sets Priority to 30.
7. Pri-30 triggers scrip/template that sends mail to all staff members
notifying that this job is complete.  Template sets Status to resolved.

Gene

--
Gene LeDuc, GSEC
Security Analyst