[rt-users] no emails sent when 'reply'ing (aka corresponding) to a ticket

Jonathan C. Detert Jonathan.Detert at msoe.edu
Thu May 24 13:21:31 EDT 2007

rt 3.6.3 installed from tarball from bestpractical's site on ubuntu
v6.10 with perl v5.8.8.

when a user clicks 'reply' to a ticket, or to a comment on a ticket, the
'reply' gets properly recorded and associated with the ticket, but email
is not sent to the owner or requester.

I haven't messed with any scrips.

Email does work on the server, but /var/log/mail.* on the server
indicate that no email is attempted to be sent when i do a 'reply'.

~rt/var/log/rt.log contains nothing that obviously explains the failure
to send email, but does get lines like this when a 'reply' is done:

Scrip Prepare 8 died. - Undefined subroutine &Scalar::Util::weaken
called at /usr/local/rt/lib/RT/Action/Generic.pm line 107.

Are those errors really associated with the failure to send email?

If so, the following urls say that I should rebuild perl wish xs
support:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/perl/+bug/46281
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist%
40lists.debian.org/msg195610.html

I tried to do so unsuccessfully:

1) i downloaded perl from perl.com, built it, and installed it
in /usr/local/bin, which comes before /usr/bin in my path.  Restarted
apache, but problem persisted.

2) rebuilt perl after applying the patch from the 3rd url above;
reinstalled perl; restarte apache, but problem persisted (and the newly
installed Scalar/Util.pm still didn't have a weaken() sub defined).

If this is the right track, can someone explain how I should rebuild
perl so that the Scalar::Util::weaken() sub is defined?

Thanks,

Jon