[rt-users] RT 4

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Thu May 24 22:07:16 EDT 2007

On 25/05/2007, at 11:27 AM, Kelly F. Hickel wrote:
> No, it doesn't.  It tracks by a user.  Customers (often) have many
> users.  This is (to me) the same thing as discussed in the "Customer
> Centric RT" thread recently.  For instance, our customers may have
> several installations of our product, on various operating systems,
> with
> various backend databases.  Rather than having to capture this data in
> every ticket, it would be much better to have it in an "Organization
> Record", that might include such things as the list of users
> authorized
> to open support tickets, an escalation path, people responsible for
> purchasing and so on.
>
> Realistically, this may best be handled by adding a User Custom Field
> that refers to an external customer information database.  However,
> having all (or at least most) of that information on the ticket screen
> would be preferable, and being able to search for all tickets by all
> users for a certain customer is an absolute requirement.
>
> -Kelly

Correct. I presented the option of having a 'client' custom field
which references the client in an external customer information
database, however the general response is 'why would we do that when
we can move to a system with it all built in?'.

Even though we can customise RT to the level that it is 'almost' one
system, there are other systems out there which 'do it all'.

Perhaps an expansion of RT's extension capabilities to make it easier
to write an RT customer relation management extension, for example,
would be a better project...