[rt-users] RT 4

Atro Tossavainen atossava at cc.helsinki.fi
Mon May 28 07:50:10 EDT 2007

On Fri, 4 May 2007, Mathew Snyder wrote:

> > * Spam!!!
>
> So, you want RT to send spam?  ;)

Some of the suggestions presented in this conversation would actually lead
to that.

If RT were to contain a moderation system and send anything in response to
"Rejected" tickets, the rejection notices would go to the owners of forged
sender addresses in the spams and viruses you would reject.  That's called
"backscatter" and will get your system listed as a sender of spam in many
places.  Don't do it, don't even think of doing it.

Likewise for "sender verification" / challenge-response schemes in any
form.  Challenges for messages one has not sent are spam to the owner
of the forged sender address.

If anybody reading this operates a mail system that does challenge/
response, or operates a spam filter such as Barracuda Spam Firewall
or MailMarshal that in its default configuration accuses the owner
of the forged sender address of having sent you the spam, now is the
time to stop.  The accusations are spam to the unrelated third parties.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,