[rt-users] no emails sent when 'reply'ing (aka corresponding) to a ticket

Jonathan C. Detert Jonathan.Detert at msoe.edu
Tue May 29 17:08:55 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm sending this email again, because I only received one reply before,
and it only addressed one point ....

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 12:21 -0500, Jonathan C. Detert wrote:
> rt 3.6.3 installed from tarball from bestpractical's site on ubuntu
> v6.10 with perl v5.8.8.
>
> when a user clicks 'reply' to a ticket, or to a comment on a ticket, the
> 'reply' gets properly recorded and associated with the ticket, but email
> is not sent to the owner or requester.

That is the problem I'm trying to fix.  The only clue I have as to what
is wrong, are lines in rt's logfile that say:

> Scrip Prepare 8 died. - Undefined subroutine &Scalar::Util::weaken
> called at /usr/local/rt/lib/RT/Action/Generic.pm line 107.

I verified that there is no f() named 'weaken' in the Scalar/Util.pm
that was installed with ubuntu's perl package.

> Are those errors really associated with the failure to send email?
>
> If so, the following urls say that I should rebuild perl wish xs
> support:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/perl/+bug/46281
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist%
> 40lists.debian.org/msg195610.html

Is this undefined subroutine really the source of the problem?  If so,
can someone either:

a) tell me which linux distro has a rt-compatible Scalar/Util.pm by
default

or

b) tell me in more detail than the URLs above, how to fix up my ubuntu
box with a Scalar/Util.pm that defines the 'weaken' subroutine?
(I've checked Debian Testing, RedHat ES 3, and Centos 4; none of them
define a 'weaken' subroutine - at least as far as I can tell).

AtDhVaAnNkCsE,

Jon