[rt-users] RT Scalability

Mark Chappell m.d.chappell at bath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 10:58:25 EST 2007

We use RT for a significant chunk of the admissions, enquiries and
support queries.  We now have over 1/3 of a million tickets, 300 queues
and 600 privileged users (not to mention a whole batch of users as the
result of spam).

We've been running this off a dual Xeon box running MySQL (with a mysql
slave backup server that can be swapped in at short notice), but as you
might imagine, with that many users (a significant chunk of which use
the web interface) it's been getting a little slow of late.

So we started looking at clustering options.

On the database side, MySQL cluster seems to insist on holding the
entire database in memory, which with a 10 Gig and growing database just
isn't feasible.  Oracle is just a little bit too much black magic and
our DBAs seem a little reticent to play the clustering game.  So I
started playing with PGCluster, and I now have a load balanced setup in
the final stages of testing prior to deployment.

For the web side, Apache combined with Cisco switch SLB has worked a treat.

I'm pretty impressed with just how well RT has scaled, however, I'm
curious as to how many other people have tried pushing RT this far.

Has anybody looked into the possibility of "archiving" parts of the RT
database, leaving only a stub with no attachments content?

Mark
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead.
  -- RFC 1925