[rt-users] RT Scalability

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Mon Nov 26 11:36:13 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 03:58:25PM +0000, Mark Chappell wrote:
> We use RT for a significant chunk of the admissions, enquiries and support
> queries.  We now have over 1/3 of a million tickets, 300 queues and 600
> privileged users (not to mention a whole batch of users as the result of
> spam).
>
> We've been running this off a dual Xeon box running MySQL (with a mysql
> slave backup server that can be swapped in at short notice), but as you
> might imagine, with that many users (a significant chunk of which use the
> web interface) it's been getting a little slow of late.
>
> So we started looking at clustering options.
>
> On the database side, MySQL cluster seems to insist on holding the entire
> database in memory, which with a 10 Gig and growing database just isn't
> feasible.  Oracle is just a little bit too much black magic and our DBAs
> seem a little reticent to play the clustering game.  So I started playing
> with PGCluster, and I now have a load balanced setup in the final stages of
> testing prior to deployment.
>
> For the web side, Apache combined with Cisco switch SLB has worked a treat.
>
> I'm pretty impressed with just how well RT has scaled, however, I'm curious
> as to how many other people have tried pushing RT this far.
>
> Has anybody looked into the possibility of "archiving" parts of the RT
> database, leaving only a stub with no attachments content?
>

> Mark

Mark,

We only have about half the number of tickets in our RT instance, but
are using PostgreSQL with Slony1 replication to a failover database
instance. I would love to see a few more details of your PGCLuster
setup since we are in the process of upgrading to the 3.6 release on
replacement hardware and would like to increase our redundancy, if
possible. Since you are using PostgreSQL, have you looked at constraint
exclusion to partition your tables on the backend. Also, if you recluster
the tables appropriately, the older information will automatically be
segregated from the new active tickets -- just some ideas.

Regards,
Ken