[rt-users] Syslog on Solaris 10

James Moseley jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Wed Oct 3 09:03:37 EDT 2007

First, unless you are debugging a problem, there is no reason log debug
output (you're basically logging every action RT does) - especially to
syslog since that's causing a problem.  Try using this:

Set($LogToSyslog, undef);

or Set($LogToSyslog, 'emergency');

Then choose the log level you want (perhaps you want debug) and log to
file: Set($LogToFile, ......;

The above doesn't completely turn off logging to syslog, but should
virtually eliminate it and thus eliminate your errors.

James Moseley

             Richard Ellis
             <Richard.Ellis at Su
             n.COM>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  James Moseley
             Richard.Ellis at Sun         <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com>
             .COM                                                       cc
                                       rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
                                                                   Subject
             10/03/2007 07:54          Re: [rt-users] Syslog on Solaris 10
             AM

Hi James,

Yep, I've configured it in RT_SiteConfig.pm

@LogToSyslogConf = ( socket => 'inet' ) unless (@LogToSyslogConf);
Set($LogDir, '/opt/rt3/var/log');
Set($LogToFileNamed,"rt.log");
Set($LogToSyslog, 'debug');
Set($LogToFile, 'warning');

which is the same settings we use on the old Solaris 9 box which has
worked for years. Because of the security changes, that just doesn't
work on the Solaris 10 machine as the syslogd daemon isn't running on
the default port (514) anymore. My choices are either change the way
messages are written to syslog by using a different method, or change
the target.

I'd prefer not to have to hack the core files about if I can avoid it.

Richard

James Moseley wrote:
> I'd take a look at the following Log section of RT_Config.pm.  Also, take
> look at the Log::Dispatch::Syslog perl module documentation:
>
> # {{{ Logging
>
> # Logging.  The default is to log anything except debugging
> # information to syslog.  Check the Log::Dispatch POD for
> # information about how to get things by syslog, mail or anything
> # else, get debugging info in the log, etc.
>
> #  It might generally make
> # sense to send error and higher by email to some administrator.
> # If you do this, be careful that this email isn't sent to this RT
> instance.
>
> # the minimum level error that will be logged to the specific device.
> # levels from lowest to highest:
> #  debug info notice warning error critical alert emergency
>
> #  Mail loops will generate a critical log message.
> Set($LogToSyslog    , 'debug');
> Set($LogToScreen    , 'error');
> Set($LogToFile      , undef);
> Set($LogDir, '/opt/rt3.6.5/var/log');
> Set($LogToFileNamed , "rt.log");    #log to rt.log
>
> # If true generates stack traces to file log or screen
> # never generates traces to syslog
>
> Set($LogStackTraces , 0);
>
> # On Solaris or UnixWare, set to ( socket => 'inet' ).  Options here
> # override any other options RT passes to Log::Dispatch::Syslog.
> # Other interesting flags include facility and logopt.  (See the
> # Log::Dispatch::Syslog documentation for more information.)  (Maybe
> # ident too, if you have multiple RT installations.)
>
> @LogToSyslogConf = () unless (@LogToSyslogConf);
>
> James Moseley
>

>              Richard Ellis

>              <Richard.Ellis at Su