[rt-users] A cpuple of questions

Steve Walsh steve.walsh at ott.sunpub.com
Tue Oct 9 12:44:04 EDT 2007

If these are newbie questions that are answered in a FAQ, please accept my
apologies.

(1) Our users submit a ticket via email when they want one of my IT team to
turn on a vacation alert for them. RT automatically responds with an email
that tells the submitter that a ticket has been created. So far so good. A
problem arises when the user gets back from vacation and submits a ticket
via email to turn off their vacation alert. RT responds again only this time
the vacation autoresponder kicks in and replies to RT. This begins a
email/ticket creation loop which if left unchecked by my team or myself will
end up generating tons of useless tickets. Has anyone else run into this
problem? and if so, how did you solve it?

(2) Some users have their email client configured to add "re:" when
responding to an email. If one of my team sends a "Reply" to a ticket and
the user who submitted the ticket responds to the "Reply" email with a "re:"
in the subject line, this creates a new ticket rather than adding the
information into the original ticket. Once again, has anyone else run into
this problem? and if so, how did you solve it?

...Steve