[rt-users] What is searchbuilder

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 30 15:09:43 EDT 2007

Micah,

	Actually, there are several ways to speed up searches without trying to
fool around with searchbuilder. It works fine for us. If we have a
search/query that takes too long, we look at any of the following:

      1) Does the SQL create any inefficient joins or links?
      2) How is the DB set up? Are there ways to speed up the DB access
using different pathways, etc.
      3) Does the query look for data in a list/sequential fashion or
does it use existing keys/indexes?
      4) Does the DB table need additional indexes?

	Also, depending on the search, if you have too many privileges that are
global in nature, that could also increase search time. You just have to
evaluate the way you write queries with an experienced eye. Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL