[rt-users] installing on RHEL4

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Wed Apr 2 15:50:56 EDT 2008

Nelson Pereira wrote:
> Is there an up to date install instruction apart from:
>
> http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/RHEL4InstallGuide
>

> I see a RPM rt-3.6.6-1.noarch.rpm but it’s missing a WACK load of
> dependencies….
>
> How do I install this RPM and satisfy all dependencies?

Personally I would recommend ditching the RPM and the RHEL-specific
installation and doing a manual installation. There a number of reasons
why this would be preferable, least of all that your RT directory
structure will remain separate from the rest of your OS and make life
that much more simple for you.

Aside from that, Red Hat packaged software is asking for trouble as they
seem to like to change the defaults that developers have worked on
carefully to whatever they think they should be.

It is for this reason, for example, that you should be careful if you
upgrade your Perl installation via RPM because the Red Hat defaults
cause RT to break in attempting to use Scalar::Util.
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com