[rt-users] RFC: Splitting the signature off from the main text in replies/comment?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Aug 12 06:08:45 EDT 2008

> Basically, I am proposing to create a second text area/a simple
> selection
> button that allows you to control when your signature and/or the
> company's
> signature is attached.

I'm strongly disinclined from doing this in stock RT. The reply UI is
missing many more important features and is already too complex.

> Some reasons for this, certainly not including everything:
>
> *) Signatures on comments are useless and just take up screen real
> estate

That depends on your organization and how you use RT. But I could see
"Do comments get signatures appended by default" as a reasonable
config file option.

> *) Replying in-line is ackward as you can't simply mark all text
> below the
> point where you stop typing and delete all

That actually argues for a more "outlook like" way to handle
signatures. Appending them entirely after the fact.

> *) Sometimes, you do not want to have a signature on replies
> If I could decide when to attach a signature and when not would
> solve these.

I, personally, have never run into that issue. I've never even seen a
mail client with that option.
IIRC, this is the first time in over a decade of releasing RT that
I've heard the feature request. Could you talk about some actual use
cases where this is an issue?

> Also, I think comments should default to not having a signature at
> all.

I disagree, but I'm willing to have a configuration option.

Jesse