[rt-users] Rt 3.6 or 3.8 ?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Aug 19 11:47:25 EDT 2008

Albert Shih schrieb:
> Hi all
>
> I'm running FreeBSD, and at this moment I don't have the rt36 ports
> (freebsd package system). Of course I can install manually, but I'm a
> little stupid about CPAN (OK I think If I very want to I can install 3.8,
> but that's mean I don't use ports, and that s*** for maintaint uptodate all
> ports).

You (really) want to use the FreeBSD ports-system to install all the
stuff that RT requires - installing RT via ports is optional, IMO.
ATM, there's also no 3.8.x port anyway.

> The second point is I'm just going to begin using RT.
>
> The third point is : I'm going to use RT with mail (less I can use web
> interface more I feel confortable), so I don't knwon the compatibility
> between 3.8 and something like Command by email" (see http://wiki.bestpractical.com/
> view/Extensions).
>
> My question is : What time you think the 3.6 version can be supported ? Or
> you advise is very to use 3.8 and don't start with 3.6 ?

"Supported" is probably a question of how much you pay BP. I think they
still support a number of customers with very old releases.

Using it only by email is a bit weird, IMHO - it kind of negates all the
advantages the web-interface has over Inboxes..

cu,
Rainer