[rt-users] delivery to RT queue returning EX_TEMPFAIL but not debug logs or anything useful

Tom H tom at limepepper.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 11:40:40 EDT 2008

Tom H wrote:
> Hi RT list,
> According to the rt-mailgate script, there should be something for this;
>
> warn $content if ($opts{debug});
>
> and according to "perldoc warnings", the function warn should send the
> content to STDERR...
>
> So I've no idea where that information is going....

So further digging reveals this possibility;
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90685/ch04s03.html#ccicedga

"If stdout and stderr are not redirected, they are not printed to the
terminal, and they disappear. However, if a command returns a non-zero
exit status, its output to stderr becomes part of the sendmail error
transcript."

And the message that is sent back through the relay is;
#< #4.4.7 X-Unix; 75> #SMTP#

So rt-mailgate is sending back exit status 75, its just doesn't look
like its sending the STDERR, which should at least include stuff like;

warn "Connecting to $full_url" if $opts{'debug'};

So I'm still losing my rt-mailgate STDERR....

Tom