[rt-users] Design/usage question

Gene LeDuc gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu
Mon Aug 25 12:31:15 EDT 2008

Hi Jerrad,

I used a custom field to emulate custom states for a process that required
a ticket to change queues several times.  A certain request comes in to the
security office and they create a ticket in their queue.  A scrip
immediately moves the ticket into the network queue where it prompts the
techs to kill the user's network connection.  They do so and record their
action, which causes the ticket to return to the security queue and stall
itself.  User notices that he is no longer on the network so he starts
calling around and eventually ends up talking to security.  Security sends
him a letter and updates the ticket, the ticket stays stalled.  When user
signs and returns the letter, security notes it and the ticket goes back to
the network queue where the techs are prompted to restore the
connection.  They do so and record the action, which causes the ticket to
return to the security queue where it sits until security reviews it and
marks it resolved.  At each step the custom field gets changed by a person,
a scrip, or a template, and this change triggers the next action.  It's
clunky, but it works well for us.

It may not be the best answer for your situation, but it is something to
consider.  We are using 3.6.3, so there might be better ways to do this in
3.8 that I don't know about.

Regards,
Gene

--