[rt-users] Issues on RT 3.8.1

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Aug 29 04:37:04 EDT 2008

On 29 Aug 2008, at 7:59 am, Sven Sternberger wrote:

> but for a real world site it is not as simple as that,
> on RPM based system the package perl-DBD-mysql is often
> required by the mysql packages.
>
> So of course I can install the CPAN package over the
> rpm, but with the next update of the rpm package
> this will be overwritten.

Are you sure?  On Debian and its derived distributions, CPAN
installations happen in a different location from the packaged
modules, so CPAN installed modules will be found first, and are not
overwritten on package upgrade.  I would have thought the same was
true of RPM distros.

You might also want to consider downloading the source RPM and
updating it to use a more recent DBD::mysql.  Shouldn't be too hard.

Tim