[rt-users] User name collision

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Dec 5 13:43:06 EST 2008

Jesse Vincent wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:45:50AM -0500, Rich West wrote:
>
>> I just got our company to migrate over to Request Tracker from an
>> inferior product, and after a couple of days of good functionality, we
>> received the following error:
>>      RT could not load a valid user, and RT's configuration does not
>> allow for the creation of a new user for this email (dshaw at mydomain.com).
>>
>> Now, we have had no problems with users submitting tickets... everyone
>> is allowed to.
>>

> Literally?  From 'UPGRADING':
>
> 	Now, if you want RT to automatically create new users upon ticket
> 	submission, you MUST grant 'Everyone' the right to create tickets.

That was, as you can guess, the first thing I looked at before sending
my email. :-P

:)

Seriously, though, the issue was with regard to the LDAP authentication
module.  It seems that it was matching users based upon Name, E-Mail,
Work phone, etc.  I came across the following post from someone today:
http://blog.loftninjas.org/2008/11/05/request-tracker-could-not-load-a-valid-user/
Which referenced another posting from this list from back in July:
http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2008-July/052700.html

I eliminated the other potential ways of matching, leaving just the
email address as the attribute in LDAP to match againsts, which fixed
the issue.

-Rich