[rt-users] LDAP authentication and existing users

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Dec 9 19:50:40 EST 2008

With the default settings in
local/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm, new users
will get created with their AD account name.  At least, that is the way
it behaved for me.  The down side was that external users with the same
account name (from a different domain, for example) could not open
tickets because of conflicting names.  Once I changed the
'attr_match_list' to just the EmailAddress, the accounts started getting
created with the email address as the account name.

More than likely, at some point in time, you adjusted the
'attr_match_list' to only include the email address like so:
'attr_match_list'           => ['EmailAddress' ],

The default is like the following:
'attr_match_list'           => [    'Name','EmailAddress', 'RealName',
'WorkPhone', 'Address2' ],

However, your users can log in to RT's interface using their email address.

We're building for our users, outside of RT, a self-service interface,
complete with forms & faq's.  The forms simply submit email to RT with
all of the right answers filled out.

As far as adjusting the current accounts.. yes, that can be scripted.
You'd have to look at the SQL tables to see what needs to be adjusted,
but it is definitely do-able with minimal effort.

-Rich