[rt-users] Latin Characters

Emmanuel Lacour elacour at easter-eggs.com
Thu Dec 18 04:28:13 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 09:03:30AM +0100, Joop wrote:
> Hello Eliezer,
>
> >> I installed RT as a solution to remove Remedy's AR in my company, but i'm
> >> having some troubles displaying spanish accented characters like á é í ó ú
> >> or ñ, so, if anybody has any ideas, will be very appreciated
> >>
> > Do you have something like "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8" in your apache
> > configuration?
> >

> I'm running RT also with Oracle as a backend and I modified my
> /etc/init.d/apache2. The first couple of lines read as follows:
> ==
> #!/bin/sh -e
> #
> # apache2        This init.d script is used to start apache2.
> #            It basically just calls apache2ctl.
>
> ENV="env -i LANG=C PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
> NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8"
>  ==

Shouldn't be needed as this is explicitely defined in RT
(lib/RT/Handle.pm):

sub Connect {
    my $self = shift;

    my $db_type = RT->Config->Get('DatabaseType');
    if ( $db_type eq 'Oracle' ) {
        $ENV{'NLS_LANG'} = "AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8";
        $ENV{'NLS_NCHAR'} = "AL32UTF8";
    }

The AddDefaultCharset in apache config is not for database connection, but for
http headers.