[rt-users] RT3.8.1-Custom Login Requires Code Changes?

Edward Bryan edward.bryan at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 18 12:15:58 EST 2008

I've been tasked with finding a way to login to our RT system by
validating our cookies against a local database and then submitting a
valid user name as a login token to RT. The object is to write a single
sign on plugin that validates against a secure database for a large
number of diverse applications.

RT has facilities to query LDAP and DBI databases with ExternalAuth and
it also has the ability to read a cookie and validate it against a
database of users and user IDs with CookieAuth but it doesn't seem to
have a method for allowing me do to my own user validation and then
simply submitting a user name as a valid login token. RT retains the
power of the query for user validation. (Correct?)

I think in order to do this I will need to do some major Mason-ary work
and before I propose a project of that size to my customer, I wanted to
get confirmation that this is the only way to get RT to follow our local
login model.

Thanks in advance,

Edward Bryan
Oregon State University