[rt-users] Performance issues with 3.6.6 upgrade

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Tue Feb 5 09:35:54 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:24:07AM -0500, Rob Ansaldo wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > On Feb 4, 2008, at 2:37 PM, Rob Ansaldo wrote:
> >
> > > We're testing an upgrade from 3.6.4 to 3.6.6 and have noticed that
> > > interactive response time on 3.6.6 is much slower than 3.6.4. Using
> > > the exact same hardware, OS, and MySQL db - most screens (ie; at a
> > > glance, ticket display) take less than 0.5 seconds when using 3.6.4
> > > and 3 or more seconds on 3.6.6.
> > >

> > I have a sneaking suspicion it's related to bugs in the older 5.0.x
> mysql you're running. But what does your slow query log say?
>
> Based on this and the note from Ken Marshall, I upgraded to MySQL
> 5.0.51a. The speed is a little better (1.5 to 2 sec) as noted by the
> "Time to display" at the bottom of the screen, but the actual wall clock
> time is still several times that. Initial log in displays a time at the
> bottom of 2 seconds maybe, but the actual time for the system to display
> anything in the browser is over a minute. If I switch back to 3.6.4,
> everything is done a fraction of a second. Slow query log has nothing
> except startup messages in it under both 3.6.4 and 3.6.6.

Rob,

The time at the bottom of the page is calculated when the page
is presented by the RT server. The additional time I am assuming
is time spent in the browser rendering the page. I wonder what
changes were made between 3.6.4 and 3.6.6 that slowed the rendering
so dramatically. We are getting ready to upgrade to the 3.6.x
series and I would like to be able to use the latest release. Maybe
Jesse has some ideas.

Cheers,
Ken