[rt-users] Can RT replace Remedy?

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Wed Feb 13 15:15:11 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 02:20:16PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> We currently use Remedy and it's in need of an upgrade.If you know
> anything about Remedy you know that can be extremely costly. I'm trying
> to look at other Helpdesk products to see if something else could fit
> instead of staying with Remedy.
>
> Our helpdesk is somewhat customized, but we really don't take advantage
> of what Remedy has to offer. We use it for tracking tickets/incidents.
>
> I have RT installed on a test server and configured for LDAP which is a
> requirement.
>
> We currently create and route tickets based on a three level category
> and the user's Location. My initial look at RT shows it as much simpler
> than that. Basically writing an email and submitting. I assume someone
> else is then responsible for routing the incoming tickets accordingly?
>
> Other things we do:
>
> 1) Escalations? We have tickets with four different severity levels,
> like Critical, High, Medium, and Low. Depending on the severity level
> AND which group the ticket is assigned to, if nothing happens on a
> ticket within a certain amount of time, an escalation
> notification(email) is sent. Each group has three levels for during and
> after business hours, plus three more global higher levels. These levels
> are set for each group.

Yes, this is configurable. Check the wiki for information.

> 2) Are there business hours and after hours specifications? Holiday
> settings?

Yes, but it is a function of your customizations.

> 3) Any type of bulletin board or global notices functionality?

Not so much.

> 4) Any type of Solutions functionality?

Yes, RTFM (yes it is a productname).

> There's certainly more, but that's a start. Can RT do any of these
> things? If it was customized to do these things, how hard would future
> upgrades be?

The customizations are very localized and the upgrades are quite
simple. I recommend some type of regression testing to confirm
functionality, but I would recommend that for an upgrade to Remedy
or any other product. We like RT a lot and chose it over Remedy.

Cheers,
Ken