[rt-users] Hierarchy of categories

Kevin Sheen sheenk at zbzoom.net
Thu Feb 14 21:04:36 EST 2008

Hi, we are currently evaluating rt as a replacement for an in-house developed ticket system.

One part of our current system that I'd like to try to replicate is a hierarchy of categories that we use to track issues with.

Here is a quick example - if a Level 1 category contained Network, the Level 2 subcategories might be Remote access, LAN or WAN.  Another example would be a L1 category of EDI would have L2 subcategories of X12 data problem and Problem with IDOC.  In essence the L2 subcategories are related to the L1 category.

I've seen the custom field configuration and see that you can create a 'select one value' type that would have all of our L1 categories but I'm uncertain about how to add the subcategory short of adding a couple of custom database tables that are related.

I've got the rt book and I'm about half way through it.  I've also looked at the past couple of months of e-mail messages but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

Our trial system is running rt 3.6.5.

thanks in advance, Kevin