[rt-users] RT Reporting - We need your wishlists

Ole Craig ocraig at stillsecure.com
Fri Feb 15 13:34:34 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 09:52 -0500, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> I have an RT hacker working on a new, expanded reporting tool for
> RT.
> While I can't promise that we'll implement _every_ report you want,
> we
> could really use your wishlists.
>
> What reporting and statistics do you want to get out of RT?

Hallelujah and glory be, thank you thank you thank you!

Jesse, that's the best (work-related) Valentine's day email I've ever
gotten. :-)

RT as it stands is an absolute lifesaver at the tactical, day-to-day
level, but management is constantly on my case (and I understand why)
for reports to inform more strategic decisionmaking. I've actually been
trying to figure out what I could do along these lines if I had time,
and also what I might be able to convince my company to pay Best
Practical to implement.

Here's an abbreviated wishlist:

     A. Per-ticket cumulative time spent in one or more of an
        arbitrarily-selected list of states ('Status' field) broken down
        by selected tickets, Requestors, Queues, Owners, &etc
     B. Same as (A) but in 'business time'
     C. Similar to (A) and (B) but indicating averages by ticket owner
     D. number of times a ticket was resolved/reopened
     E. lowest/average/highest amount of time between email from
        customer and response back to customer, broken down by ticket,
        Requestor, Owner, or some combination thereof
     F. Daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly statistics:
              * # of tickets opened
              * # of tickets resolved
              * average times spent in various states (cf. (A) and (B)
                above)
              * # of tickets 'currently' in each state as of report
                end-date cutoff

                (all of these bullet items should of course be
                filterable by any/multiple/all of: Owner, Requestor,
                Queue, Custom Fields, AdminCc, &etc.
     G. Trending (including comparison between arbitrary time periods,
        e.g. quarter on quarter or month on month as well as just e.g.
        this month vs. last month)
     H. number of "touches" per ticket
              * # of Requestor emails
              * # of Comments
              * # of Corresponds
              * # of people involved in ticket
                      * Requestors
                      * AdminCcs
                      * Ccs

I realize I've probably cluttered this up by putting some filtering
criteria into the bullet points, but really I think you'd want to be
able to filter any reports based on some or all of the following
criteria:
Owner, Requestor, AdminCcs, Queue, various Custom Fields, time worked,
creation date, open date, resolved date, reopen date, time of day, day
of week, week of month, week of quarter, month of year, &etc.

Also, auditability and constraint by time period: if I run a report
today that shows statistics (or activity or whatever) for the past week,
in six months I'll need to be able to run a report starting with the
same criteria but specifying begin- and end-dates for this week, and
those two reports should show exactly the same results.

	More thoughts as they occur,
		Ole

--
/Ole Craig