[rt-users] What criteria do you use when deciding the number of instances of RT?

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Thu Jan 10 11:08:48 EST 2008

>--===============1115171146==
>
>------=_Part_8390_1032883.1199978446926
>
>I have had to think about this a lot. Maintaining one RT with customizations
>for lots of different groups can be challenging. Maintaining multiple RT
>instances and trying to keep some customizations in sync across those
>instances can also be a bit of a pain.
>
>So what it comes down to for me is risk. I can't have my externally facing
>customer service queues being screwed up by customization for my internal
>queues. So for me customer service gets its own instance and everyone else
>gets another instance.

 Interesting.  For code customizations, I have my paths set up
 so that a given instance gets a base part (governing the core RT version),
 a common part for all instances (of that RT version) where I put _vendor
 files, and a per-instance part.  Any customization I want to apply
 to all instances is easy, and I can still have per-instance differences.

 Of course, if you mean customizations in the RT config file or in
 the database, this doesn't help.

   bobg