[rt-users] Tables, database size, backups

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Mon Jan 28 15:02:49 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 10:23 PM, Alex Howells <alex at bytemark.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> First post to the list, although I've been an avid reader for months;
> we've a reasonably sized RT3 installation at work, probably doing around
> 15,000 tickets per annum at the moment, with 5-6 staff working with it.
> It's just being moved onto new hardware, which brings me to:
>
>    *  Our 'sessions' table is rather huge, at 1.5GB
>       and most of the timestamps contained within are
>       literally 1-3 years old.  Do I need to keep this
>       data for any reason, or can it be purged to save
>       space on the DB host + time when backing up?
clean it! it's slow down your system. you don't need data, only schema
definitions in backups.

>    *  Ditto for our attachments table, although I'm able
>       to see more of a reason here why the data is needed!
>       Anyone have any hints / tips on this?
no tips. it's content of tickets. so there is no way to avoid dumping,
however you can compress backups if space is your problem.

[snip]

>    *  We had a 'problem' where a lot of connections
>       to MySQL would remain open and idle for ~6 hours
>       despite nobody using the application.  Reducing
>       wait_timeout seemed to make this go away, but
>       *seems* to have the unexpected side-effect of RT
>       getting its panties in a bunch and not sending out
>       correspondance + comments via e-mail properly. Is
>       there a "safe" limit for wait_timeout with RT?
>       Furthermore, is there anything I should be looking
>       out for in particular when my install stops mailing?
>       It seems to stop silently too, which is frustrating.
hm. that's odd we have code that pings DB and reconnect when it's not alive.

[snip]

--
Best regards, Ruslan.