[rt-users] Upgrading to 3.8.0: schema.mysql, column_info selection problem

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Wed Jul 16 15:13:24 EDT 2008

Ruslan, thanks for sharing this.

James Moseley

             "Ruslan Zakirov"
             <ruz at bestpractica
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
             ruslan.zakirov at gm                                          cc
             ail.com                   rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [rt-users] Upgrading to 3.8.0:
             07/16/2008 01:09          schema.mysql,column_info selection
             PM                        problem

Let's make it clear:
* you still must upgrade DB using files in etc/upgrade/x.x.x/
* however in 3.8.0 you can do it using one command:

rt-setup-database --dba root --prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade

it will ask for the old version (for example you can enter 3.6.7) and
will apply all steps up to the installed version (in this case it's
3.8.0)

* then you do mysql schema changes using the script
* these schema changes are required for all mysql versions greater
than mysql 4.1.0

* people installing for the first time will get new DB schema as there
are two different schema files for mysql in etc/, so they don't need
to do all these steps
* people upgrading mysql server from 4.0 to 4.1 and newer should use
the script two

* I tested this script several times, but only on my dev PC, so it's
VERY recommended to backup and make tests

Clear?

Best regards, Ruslan.