[rt-users] Upgrading to 3.8.0: schema.mysql, column_info selection problem

Emmanuel Lacour elacour at easter-eggs.com
Mon Jul 21 11:57:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:09:52PM +0400, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:
> Let's make it clear:
> * you still must upgrade DB using files in etc/upgrade/x.x.x/
> * however in 3.8.0 you can do it using one command:
>
> rt-setup-database --dba root --prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade
>
> it will ask for the old version (for example you can enter 3.6.7) and
> will apply all steps up to the installed version (in this case it's
> 3.8.0)
>
> * then you do mysql schema changes using the script
> * these schema changes are required for all mysql versions greater
> than mysql 4.1.0

I have some problems about this here:

- I ran the 4.0-4.1 script on the DB, no errors
- the rt UI display now weird caracters :( direct select on mysql command
  line looks ok
- I looked at the original dump of my DB (before script), everything
  seems in latin1
- so I dumped with "--default-character-set=latin1 --skip-set-charset"
  and get a working dump in latin1
- I converted it with iconv to utf8
- then I did a new import in an utf8 db, with
  --default-character-set=utf8
- still weird characters, direct select on mysql command
  line looks ok
- I added in Handle.pm a "SET NAMES utf8", now the rt UI is ok ...

I'm a bit lost with MySQL encoding :(

Any help there ?