[rt-users] Slightly OT: Perl Modules question

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 11:00:45 EDT 2008

On 28 Jul 2008, at 3:52 pm, John Arends wrote:

> This is slightly off topic, but since I think this is a problem nearly
> all RT administrators face I am looking for advice/suggestions.
>
> I like to use kickstart to build RHEL systems and I'm sure other
> people
> use automated build processes as well.
>
> What is incredibly difficult is satisfying all the perl module
> dependencies. Right now I build RPMs for all the perl modules using
> cpan2rpm or pull down some RPMs from the Dag Wieers repo. This takes a
> long time and with each RT version upgrade, I need even more perl
> modules.

In an ideal world, I'd do what you're suggesting, and store those
RPM's in my own repository.  In fact, I use Debian, not Red Hat, but
the principle is the same.  It's particularly awkward at the moment,
though, because the new version of RT requires versions of some of
these perl modules which are considerably more recent than those in
Debian stable, so for testing purposes I've gone for the CPAN
approach.  It does mean that things could go wrong with a future CPAN
update, but I don't tend to upgrade RT frequently (this is my first
upgrade since RT 3.4.2)

Tim