[rt-users] RT3.8 upgrade: forcing ascii email addresses?

Mathieu Longtin mlongtin at dbsoft.ca
Mon Jul 28 14:39:06 EDT 2008

I have a hard time believing that the 300M Chinese on the net have an email address spelled with ascii characters, but I just checked with our Exchange server here and on gmail, and both refused a single accented letter in the user name.

So you are right about restricting it.

As for the "smaller field smaller db" excuse, utf8 is the same as ascii as long as you use strictly ascii characters. Also, the last I heard that excuse was for putting centuries in dates, thus saving 2 bytes for each date. We all know where that got us :)