[rt-users] where to get the CurrentUser_Local.pm overlay?

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Tue Jun 3 06:47:58 EDT 2008

Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> mike.peachey at jennic.com wrote:
>> Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to test creation of new users based on external LDAP
> information,
>>> as described here:
>>> http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/AutoCreateFromExternalUserInfo
>>> however, the link to the download of the CurrentUser_Local.pm seems to
> be
>>> broken.
>>> Does anybody can send it here to the list, or send it to me privately
>>> please.
>> The information you are looking at is out of date.
>>
>> http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/LDAP
> thanks, for that hint. I found the overlay file I was looking for in the
> cache of MSN, and I just got it working with it.
> Despite its hard to get the file, why is is out of date? any good reasons to
> not use the older mechanism?
>
> thanks
> Sebastian

What I meant was, there are currently three standard methods for
implementing LDAP auth on RT:

1. Apache
2. RT::Authen::ExternalAuth
3. User_Local overlay (Jim Meyer).

The method you want (the overlay method) is detailed at
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/OldLDAP and it links to the overlay page
which is here: http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/LdapUserLocalOverlay

However, the page you were looking at (AutoCreateFromExternalUserInfo)
is even older than that and is what Jim based his work on. So, while you
can use whatever you want, for a simple overlay I'd recommend Jim's, and
for a complete up to date solution I'd recommend RT::Authen::ExternalAuth

--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com