[rt-users] Rename RT Instance

Graeme Fowler G.E.Fowler at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 05:08:11 EDT 2008

I've had a read of the list archives, and a read of the Wiki, and just
wanted to check something before I suggest something as possible that my
team will hang me for :)

We have an operational instance of RT 3.6.5 with a rather unusual name.
We'd like to change the instance name to something more meaningful as
we're being asked to offer the service to other University departments
for them to track their own cases.

Am I right in thinking that the section covering 3.6.x on the  Wiki
page:

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/RenameInstance

...is still correct? As I understand it, all (!) we have to do is use
the EmailSubjectTagRegex option to contain both the old and new names
per:

Set($rtname, 'new.name');
Set($EmailSubjectTagRegex, qr/(?:old\.name|new\.name)/i);

and then restart Apache to restart the instance with the new name? We'd
obviously have a little additional work to reconfigure Exim to handle
the new name if necessary, but that's not in the scope of this specific
change.

Is anything required in the database too, like replacing all the "data"
fields in the transactions table to reflect the new name, and changing
all the subject fields in the attachments table likewise? Or with the
regex above would that simply be cosmetic?

Thanks

Graeme