[rt-users] Prevent updates to tickets that have been updated since you've opened it

Joel Schuweiler jschuweiler at fonality.com
Mon Mar 3 18:18:37 EST 2008

In large queues I find that a source of  'confusing/messy/ugly/wrong'
tickets come from someone doing the following:

1) person 1 opens a ticket
2) person 2 opens the ticket and updates
3) person 1 updates the ticket

person 1 and person 2 can both be internal, or one can be external,
either case it makes for a very confusing situation. I'm thinking about
looking into the following

1) person 1 opens a ticket
2) person 22 opens the ticket and updates
3) person 1 updates the ticket
4) rt sees that the last modified time has changed since last update
5) pops them to an error page saying the ticket has been updated since
they last looked, and pre-fills all the fields for them

Can anyone see any issues with this?

(more technical)
1) submit the last modified time as a hidden input
2) add it to the sql such that the statement fails (no wasted time
making an extra statement to compare before insert)

-Joel