[rt-users] Fw: Moving RT to another Server

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Mon Mar 17 11:10:14 EDT 2008

You defintitely need to be calling it via http://172.31.6.213/rt/

As to your other errors, those are definitely problems.  Did you install RT
via source or yum repository?  Either way, have you done a 'make testdeps'
in the source directory to ensure all the Perl modules have been installed?

James Moseley

             "John  BORIS"
             <jboris at adphila.o
             rg>                                                        To
                                       <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com>
             03/17/2008 09:41                                           cc
             AM                        "RT Users"
                                       <rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com>,
                                       <rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractic
                                       al.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Fw: [rt-users] Moving RT to
                                       another Server

I did set the RT_SiteConfig variable to my IP address.
I am calling RT to http://172.31.6.213/

This server is multihomed. I have a limited budget here so any server
does more then single duty. Also the systems don't get much work.  My
trouble tickets have decreased over the years to about two or three a
day.

I did a call to http://172.31.6.213/rt/

and got an Internal Server error
This error comes when I restart the httpd daemon
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CGI/Fast.pm
line 22.
Compilation failed in require at /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi line
57.

And this one comes when I try to connect.
[Mon Mar 17 10:36:52 2008] [notice] mod_fcgid: process
/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi(29612) exit(communication error),
terminated by calling exit(), return code: 2

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

>>> <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com> 3/17/2008 9:35:59 AM >>>
John, use the name of the new server (or whatever 172.31.6.213 resolves
to)
in RT_SiteConfig.  Also, any reason you are using a virtual host?

Lastly, I assume you are calling RT at the following URL:
http://172.31.6.213/rt/

James Moseley

             "John  BORIS"

             <jboris at adphila.o

             rg>
                                       <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com>

             03/17/2008 08:22

<rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractic
                                       al.com>

Subject
                                       Re: Fw: [rt-users] Moving RT to

                                       another Server

James,

I did what you suggested and made my httpd.conf file look like this
with one exception. I have to use the server IP address since my real
server is still in operation. So here is my current setting:

<VirtualHost 172.31.6.213>
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
ErrorLog logs/rt_error_log
ServerAdmin jboris at adphila.org
ServerName 172.31.6.213
LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

# Use FastCGI to process .fcg .fcgi & .fpl scripts
# Don't do this if mod_fastcgi is present, as it will try to do the
same
<IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
    AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl
</IfModule>

# Sane place to put sockets and shared memory file
SocketPath run/mod_fcgid
SharememPath run/fcgid_shm

# Main instance
Alias /rt/NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/
ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
</VirtualHost>

I get the "Almost there page" but the html is messed up because I get
this at the start of the page:

<& /Elements/Header, Title=>loc("RT at a glance"), Refresh =>
$session{'home_refresh_interval'} &>

I looked in my RT_SiteConfig.pm and made sure the IP address was there
not the rt.adphila.org since the rt.adphila.org server is still
running.

So I still have something misconfigured.

Since this is a "New installation" I think I am going to start over
with the RT install process and then see about moving the data unless
there is something simple I am missing.

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

>>> <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com> 3/14/2008 2:43:36 PM >>>

John - don't worry about the Apache warning about the module for now.
You
also didn't make the necessary changes.  You put some in, left others
out,
then left the old mod_perl stuff in place.  Also, you didn't adjust
the
paths in the configs I sent you.  Note that my path only had /opt/rt,
not
/opt/rt3.  As for the warning, again, check the other configs in
/etc/httpd/conf.d and make sure the module isn't being loaded there.
double-check that the fcgi module isn't compiled into Apache (it
shouldn't
be if you installed via yum), just run the following command to see
what is
compiled in: httpd -l

Get rid of the 'Alias /rt3' statment, then replace the virtual host
stanza
with this:

<VirtualHost 172.31.6.213>
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
ErrorLog logs/rt_error_log
ServerAdmin jboris at adphila.org
ServerName rt.adphila.org
LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

# Use FastCGI to process .fcg .fcgi & .fpl scripts
# Don't do this if mod_fastcgi is present, as it will try to do the
same
thing
<IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
    AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl
</IfModule>

# Sane place to put sockets and shared memory file
SocketPath run/mod_fcgid
SharememPath run/fcgid_shm

# Main instance
Alias /rt/NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/
ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
</VirtualHost>

James Moseley

             "John  BORIS"

             <jboris at adphila.o

             rg>
                                       <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com>

             03/14/2008 01:03
cc
             PM

Subject
                                       Re: [rt-users] Moving RT to
another
                                       Server

Nope. I still get the message.

Here is my httpd.conf where I made some changes.

Alias /rt3 /opt/rt3/share/html
<VirtualHost 172.31.6.213>
        DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html
        AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
        ErrorLog logs/rt_error_log
        ServerAdmin jboris at adphila.org
        ServerName rt.adphila.org

        Alias /NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/

        PerlModule Apache::DBI
        PerlRequire /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl
        TransferLog logs/rt_access_log
        DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml
        ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
        <Directory "/opt/rt3/share/html">
                Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>

        ErrorLog logs/rt_error_log
        <Location />
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler RT::Mason
        </Location>
</VirtualHost>

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

>>> <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com> 3/14/2008 1:59:44 PM >>>
Have you checked the other config files in /etc/httpd/conf.d?
Anyways,
that error is just informational and doesn't affect anything.

So the question is, does RT work now?

James Moseley

             "John  BORIS"

             <jboris at adphila.o

             rg>
                                       <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com>

             03/14/2008 12:51
cc
             PM
<rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractic
                                       al.com>

Subject
                                       Re: [rt-users] Moving RT to
another
                                       Server

James,
I did as you said but I get this message when I restart the httpd
daemon

Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd: [Fri Mar 14 13:49:58 2008] [warn] module fcgid_module
is already loaded, skipping

I checked the httpd.conf file and the only instance for that module is
what I added. Could that have been compiled in?

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

>>> <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com> 3/14/2008 12:28:06 PM >>>
Personally, since you have a new server to test with, I would take the
time
to upgrade to the latest version - 3.6.6.  Install the backed up mysql
database, run the scripts to adjust the DB schema, install HTTP and
mod_fcgid (via yum), install RT (from source), then run a 'make
testdeps'
to see what Perl modules are missing.  Then use CPAN or yum to get
those
installed.

You can also use your tarred 3.4.5 installation as well, but switching
mod_perl is going to be slower.  The Fedora repository doesn't contain
an
RPM for Apache's FastCGI, but it does contain mod_fcgid - an alternate
the Apache FastCGI module and works just as well.  The only thing you
need
to get this working on the new server is simply the Apache syntax to
use
with mod_fcgid.  Here's my config - it should get you up and working -
adjust the paths as necessary:

LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

# Use FastCGI to process .fcg .fcgi & .fpl scripts
# Don't do this if mod_fastcgi is present, as it will try to do the
same
thing
<IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
    AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl
</IfModule>

# Sane place to put sockets and shared memory file
SocketPath run/mod_fcgid
SharememPath run/fcgid_shm

# Main instance
Alias /rt/NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt/share/html/NoAuth/images/
ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/

James Moseley

             "John  BORIS"

             <jboris at adphila.o

             rg>
             Sent by:
<rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com>
             rt-users-bounces@
cc
             lists.bestpractic

             al.com
Subject
                                       [rt-users] Moving RT to another

                                       Server

             03/14/2008 10:54

             AM

I am part way finished moving a working RT-3.4.5 installation to a
newer
server running MySQL 5, PHP 5 and Fedora 8. I tarred up the rt
installation and put it in the same place on the new server. I did a
mysqldump of the rt3 database and then ran that on the new server. The
running installation is using FastCGI which I can't get installed on
the
newer server since the Apache source is not on the new server. So I
decided to use mod_perl. Looking at the Bok RT Essentials I think I
have
it set right but now I got the "Almost There" page when I try to
login.

The error logs show a missing favicon.ico file.

Here is my rt portion of my httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost myserverip>
        DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html
        AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
        ErrorLog logs/rt_error_log
        ServerAdmin myemail
        ServerName rt.adphila.org

        Alias /NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/

        PerlModule Apache::DBI
        PerlRequire /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl
        TransferLog logs/rt_access_log
        DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml
        <Directory "/opt/rt3/share/html">
                Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>