[rt-users] RT 3.6.4 poor query performance

Mathew mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:39:33 EDT 2008

The vast amount of data could be due to spam.  I set up a script which
regularly (daily) searches for spam and the users automatically created
by it.  It then runs Shredder on the list I built.  This is made easier
by creating a spam only queue into which all incoming spam is placed.

Additionally, we've instituted a method of preventing non-authorized
users from creating tickets.  We have a script which pulls the email
addresses of our customers employees from our customer database.  It
then builds a procmail script.

If the email address is listed in the procmail script the incoming email
is passed to rtx-mailgate.  If the email address doesn't exist in the
list they get a bounce back.  This eliminated about 75% of our spam problem.

The other 25% was from our other public facing queue to which security
and abuse issues are reported.  These emails are placed in our _SPAM
queue on which the above clean-up script runs.  It doesn't always get
everything because it isn't configured to handle Bcc and Cc addresses
but the requestor address is always groomed.  The emails in that queue
are marked as deleted and Shredder then grooms out all deleted emails.

On another note, we just installed a Barracuda system which has been a
blessing.  The clean-up script went from a daily scrubbing of between
150-250 emails and users to between 0 and 20.

Mathew

--
Keep up with me and what I'm up to: http://theillien.blogspot.com