[rt-users] RT 3.4.5 -- correspondence disappeared into a black hole!

Jim Faulkner james.faulkner at yale.edu
Thu Mar 20 14:33:08 EDT 2008

I have a RT 3.4.5 server (running on RHEL 4) that is heavily used and has
been in production for a couple of years now.  It has held up very well
during this time, I have never seen any tickets, correspondence, or
anything go missing without an explanation, such as getting caught in a
spam filter or being deleted by a careless user.

Yesterday, however, my supervisor sent e-mail corresponence to the RT
server on an existing ticket, and it never showed up in the ticket or
anywhere else in the RT database.  He sent the e-mail at approximately
10:17 AM, and sure enough it shows up in the RT server's maillog as being
delivered to the rt-mailgate command, which shows up properly in the httpd
logs:
128.36.236.82 - - [19/Mar/2008:10:17:25 -0400] "POST
/REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway HTTP/1.1" 200 383 "-" "libwww-perl/5.79"

However, the correspondence was never entered into the ticket.  It just
disappeared!  I do nightly database dumps, and a grep of this morning's
database dump revealed that the correspondence never made it into the RT
mysql database at all.

I've checked the RT log, for which I have "warning" logging enabled, but
there's no errors or warnings anywhere near 10:17 AM.  There are no errors
in apache's error_log near that time either.  I've checked the RT server's
root mail (which receives bounces and other misdirected mail), but its not
in there either.  The maillog indicates that no mail was sent back to my
supervisor anywhere near this time, so he never received an "undeliverable
mail" message either.

There appears to be nothing else wrong with the RT server at all besides
this one piece of missing correspondence.  Other tickets were successfully
created and commented on within minutes of 10:17 AM.  I was able to
correspond via e-mail on the ticket in question using the exact same
subject line as my supervisor with no problem.  I had my supervisor reply
vi e-mail to other tickets in the same queue with no issues.  Its just
this one piece of e-mail that's missing!

I'm totally stumped as to what happened to this correspondence.  Are there
any bugs in this version of RT or the corresponding perl modules that
could have caused this correspondence to be lost?

thanks for any help,
Jim Faulkner