[rt-users] RT 3.6.6 - httpd won't start

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Tue May 13 20:18:11 EDT 2008

Have you read Ruslan's email yet?  If you are running mod_perl 2.x, you
don't need: PerlModule Apache2::compat

I'd remove that first and then see if things work before worrying about
which version of mod_perl you have or switching to FastCGI.

But, to answer your questions:

More than likely, if you're running Apache 2.2.8, you are running mod_perl
2.x.  To find out the version of mod_perl, use the package managment system
for that operating system.  For Linux systems, simply do: yum info
mod_perl.

You can also do a rpm query:  rpm -qa | grep mod_perl

If installed via source, go back and look at the source package.  There are
other methods as well.

As for FastCGI, it's a bit more complicated and depends on the flavor:

There's the Apache mod_fastcgi module available from www.fastcgi.com

Then there is mod_fcgid available from fastcgi.coremail.cn

Depending on the Linux distro, either or both may be available via yum.
For Fedora, the latter version was available for 6/7, not sure about 8 (yum
info mod_fcgid).

Since I am using mod_fcgid, here's my Apache RT config:

LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

# Use FastCGI to process .fcg .fcgi & .fpl scripts
# Don't do this if mod_fastcgi is present, as it will try to do the same
thing
<IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
    AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl
</IfModule>

# Sane place to put sockets and shared memory file
SocketPath run/mod_fcgid
SharememPath run/fcgid_shm

# Main instance
#FastCgiServer /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -idle-timeout 360 -processes
4
Alias /rt/NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/
ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/

James Moseley

             Shannon Adams
             <shannon_adams68@
             yahoo.com>                                                 To
                                       jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
             05/13/2008 06:35                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [rt-users] RT 3.6.6 - httpd
                                       won't start

Hi James,

Thanks for the response.  After making the correction, httpd now starts.

I am running Apache/2.2.8.  I am not sure how to tell what version of
mod_perl I am running.  How can I tell what version I am using or
better yet, what do I need to change in the in the following rt3.conf
to switch to FastCGI?

httpd starts - but I get the following when browsing to
rtbak.bigrocksports.com:

You're almost there!

You haven't yet configured your webserver to run RT.

You appear to have installed RT's web interface correctly, but haven't
yet configured your web server to "run" the RT server which powers the
web interface.

The next step is to edit your webserver's configuration file to instruct it
to use RT's mod_perl , fastcgi or speedycgi handler.

rt3.conf follows:

<VirtualHost 10.9.10.251>
  ServerName itadmintest.bigrocksports.com
  DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html
  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

  PerlModule Apache2::compat

  Alias /rt "/opt/rt3/share/html"
  PerlModule Apache::DBI
  PerlRequire /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl

  <Directory /opt/rt3/share/html>
    AllowOverride All
    Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
    <IfModule mod_access.c>
        Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
    </IfModule>
  </Directory>

  <Location /rt>
    RewriteEngine On
    RedirectMatch permanent (.*)/$ $1/index.html
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler RT::Mason
  </Location>