[rt-users] 404 on Ubuntu 8.10

Jared Liebl jliebl at icdmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:06:52 EST 2008

I'm trying to get RT 3.8.1 installed on a Ubuntu v8.10 server, and I
seem to be setting it up wrong.  I keep getting a 404 message when I try
to access RT.

I did find the instructions for upgrading a Ubuntu install from 3.6 to
3.8 (http://www.nabble.com/Re:-Ubuntu-RT-3.8-package-p19726512.html),
but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to run the configure script
properly to get it to install in the locations chosen by the Ubuntu
package, so I'm trying to do a manual install.

I started by loading my server as a Ubuntu LAMP server (I have some
other stuff besides RT that I want to add to this machine later).  Then
I installed Mod Perl 2 and ran 'make fixdeps', and everything seemed to
go well.  I ran Make Install, and installed everything to the default
directory (/opt/rt3/).

Then I copied /opt/rt3/etc/RT_Config.pm to
/opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm, and changed the following lines:
Set($rtname , "servername.domain.tld");
Set($Organization , "domain.tld");
Set($Timezone , 'US/Central');
Set($DatabaseUser , 'rt_user');
Set($DatabasePassword , 'mypassword');
Set($WebPath, "/rt");
Set($WebBaseURL, 'http://servername.domain.tld' .
RT->Config->Get('WebDomain') . ':' . RT->Config->Get('WebPort'));

Finally, I modified my Apache configuration file
(/etc/apache2/sites-available/default), so that it looks like this:
<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerAdmin webmaster at localhost

	DocumentRoot /var/www/
	<Directory />
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
	</Directory>
	<Directory /var/www/>
		AllowOverride None
		Order allow,deny
		allow from all
	</Directory>

	ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
	<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
	AllowOverride None
	Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
	</Directory>

	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

	# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error,
crit,
	# alert, emerg.
	LogLevel warn

	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    </Directory>

   # as RT is out of document root then we want alias
   # and should define directory access
   Alias /rt/ /opt/rt3/share/html/
   <Directory /opt/rt3/share/html/>
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
   </Directory>

   PerlRequire /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl
   <Location /rt/>
       AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
       SetHandler perl-script
       PerlHandler RT::Mason
   </Location>
</VirtualHost>

I can get a page to load at http://servername.domain.tld, but if I go to
http://servername.domain.tld/rt, I get a 404:
Not Found
The requested URL /rt was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.9 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-2ubuntu4 with Suhosin-Patch
mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 Server at servername.domain.tld Port 80

/var/log/apache2/error.log reads:
[error] [client 192.168.0.123] File does not exist: /var/www/rt

I think that the problem should be easy to fix, if you know apache well.
I'd really love to use RT 3.8 on Ubuntu.  I'd rather not switch
distributions, or use an earlier version.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Jared Liebl
MIS Manager - Wisconsin Region
Industrial Controls Distributors