[rt-users] Upgrade RT

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 09:08:13 EST 2008

On 18 Nov 2008, at 4:47 pm, Tim Cutts wrote:

>> What switches did you use to dump the mysql? I see few gotcha's about
>> using binary characters
>> and separate dump  for attachment table and stuff
>
> OK, yes, I've just looked at an attachment to one of our tickets, and
> yes, it's corrupted.  Bugger.  So I've obviously missed something.  I
> thought that all one needed to do was to apply the mysql 4.0->4.1
> patches at the appropriate point, but clearly something is wrong.  Or
> is it what you allude to above, and we need to do something smarter
> when dumping the Attachment table?  Can you give me some references to
> where you've seen the gotchas?

OK, I'm now getting a bit concerned, because I've re-done my upgrade
procedure based on dumping with --default-charset=binary, but I've
still got a problem with corrupted attachments.  I imagine there's a
huge amount of past material on this list about this problem - are
there any good summary documents somewhere?  The procedure I'm trying
to follow is:

1)  mysqldump my RT 3.4.2 instance, which is running on a MySQL 4.1.11
database (maybe this is my problem?  Maybe I don't need the 4.0->4.1
update at all?)

2)  Load that dump into a new MySQL 5.0 database on my new system

3)  Apply the 3.4.2 -> 3.8.0 update

4)  Apply the MySQL 4.0->4.1 patch, if necessary (I'm now wondering
whether it is, or whether applying it is actually causing the problem)

5)  Apply the 3.8.0 -> 3.8.1 update

Any ideas?

Tim