[rt-users] rt-shredder out of memory

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Mon Nov 24 13:21:33 EST 2008

RT 3.8.2 will have new implementation of rt-validator tool that can
validate your DB and delete records that refers to not existing
objects. This tool can be used as a replacement for shredder in such
situations, but it DOESN'T create backups and act directly with DB.
You just delete one record from the DB and then use the tool to delete
other records.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Hoogstraten, Ton
<Ton.Hoogstraten at ingram.nl> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Due to my own fault I ended up with some tickets that have a mailloop in the
> history. Now I'm trying to remove one of those tickets with the rt-shredder
> utility on a test system. Rt-shredder starts the transaction and I can see
> the backup sql file growing and messages are being logged in
> /var/log/messages. Until perl runs out of memory and stop the removal.
> Ticket remains in the DB. The ticket73273.sql dump file reaches a size of
> 1.9Gb (to get an idea how big the ticket is! Total RT DB size is now about
> 42Gb when dumped for backup)
>

> I'm currently running RT 3.8.1. If someone has an idea how to remove the
> ticket it would be very much appreciated!
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Ton Hoogstraten
>

> [root at localhost]# ./rt-shredder --plugin 'Objects=Ticket,73273' --sqldump
> ticket73273.sql
>
> SQL dump file is '/opt/rt3/sbin/ticket73273.sql'
>
> Next objects would be deleted:
>
>                 RT::Ticket-73273 object
>
> Do you want to proceed? [y/N] y
>
> Out of memory!