[rt-users] character encoding issues after updating

Jac Gubbels GUBBELS JacG at kocschool.k12.tr
Sun Oct 19 14:23:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

After having successfully implemented version 3.6.4 in our organization, I have started an attempt at updating the installation to 3.8.1. It seems to be successful, however I have one show stopping issue. When I look at the tickets the Turkish characters we use have become corrupted. Here is what I do in terms of upgrading the database:

* I copy the database to a new one using phpmyadmin (I can run the new version now! even without the db update, but with the character issues)
* I run the update script over the copy (from the temporary directory that holds the 'upgrade' directory)
* I am using the copy for the new installation as I have to keep the original database in one piece, it is live...

When I look at the fields in the database I see no differences between the two ('fotokopi(C500) sarı ve mavi toner bitik!' remains 'fotokopi(C500) sarı ve mavi toner bitik!' - apparently we need blue and yellow toner for a printer ;-), so that makes me think something changed somewhere else. 3.6.4 shows this ticket as it should, with a dotless i, 3.8.1 gives 'ı'

When I play with the character encoding using my browser I am not able to get things to show up right.

Any suggestions would be great.

-- Jac
Istanbul, Turkey