[rt-users] Condition scrip

Eli Altman eli at gmnameplate.com
Mon Oct 27 12:34:14 EDT 2008

I'm curious what you mean by 'when I create the ticket the requestor will be me..' If you create the ticket through the WebUI and you have any privileges, you should be able to manually type in a requestor.   Otherwise, when you create a ticket through email, and you have CommandByEmail installed, you should just set the first line of your email to 'Requestor: emailaddress' and it will set the requestor before any scrips even get to look at it.   If this is the only reason you don't want an AutoReply being sent, this will make it go to the customer.. a comforting email to get IMO.  I might understand what you're trying to do here.   You'd like to start a conversation with a customer through RT and converse with them while having everything logged in history (which happens by default when you create a ticket and 'Reply' or correspond with them)  Then, at some time in the conversation you'd like to send them an email with an attached file that you create specifically for them.   There are ways of doing this, but to start I'll give you a few things to think about.

Will you be using RT in a normal way at any point in the future (customer emails RT, gets an autoreply, staff gets notification, maybe emails back and forth a couple of times with the customer, fixes problem and resolves the ticket) Or do you plan using this one workflow as you just described, for ever?

You'll need to get into Queue based scrips, Queue based templates, and possibly the RT-Attach-Message special template header.  You'll want to simplify the correspondence template add the employees username to the top so the customer will know who they are talking to.  If you'd like the RealName of the staff member to show up, it will require more effort. The replyto and from email address from these emails cannot be changed from your RT email, as you need all of the email correspondence to go through RT and be logged into that specific ticket in the subject of the email.

Another thing to think about, is whether or not 'RT-Attach-Message: yes' will do what you need it to do.  I've found that this special header will only attach files that are in the most recent transaction.  Like if someone just created a ticket by email, and they attached a file to that initial email, the template to notify staff that a new ticket has been created can include that special header.  In this case, it would simply attach initial attached file to the outgoing email to the staff.  If that template is used for something else completely later (like a status change or something basic) it won't attach anything.  I'm using 3.8.1 and wanted something similar what you're looking for.   I wanted a specific template to include EVERY attachment from the ticket to the outgoing email.    I had to modify maybe three files to get this working, allowing a new special header 'RT-Attach-All: yes' to do this.

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/Template

According to the wiki, it should do this but I was unable to make it work as I needed.

If you find that in the end you'll need to do this mod, I'll help you.  My concern is that you may not be up to speed enough on RT basics to apply this mod without breaking your installation.

Elias