[rt-users] Making RT 3.8.1 grok References: and In-Reply-To:

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Oct 30 12:54:13 EDT 2008

On Thu 30.Oct'08 at  7:55:56 -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> I don't know if this is of general interest or not...
>
> I found the patches at http://www.usit.uio.no/it/rt/modifications/
> that allow RT to associate email with tickets based on the References:
> and In-Reply-To: headers if there is no subject tag.  I've made these
> work with RT 3.8.1; the changes are here:

It's something I'm of two minds about.  On the one-hand, it's a really
slick feature that makes a lot of things easier. On the other hand, it's
quite common for users to open new tickets by popping up an old ticket
reply and changing the subject and body. Which will incorrectly thread
it as on the previous ticket. (Most mail clients don't expose
"in-reply-to" and "references" headers for user editing.)

It'd be cool if this could become an RT extension that oculd be cpanned.