[rt-users] Trying to install/run RT with 2 Perls - Redhat Perl and self, installed Perl (John Seto)

Todd A. Green tgreen at accuship.com
Thu Oct 30 14:12:28 EDT 2008

John,

I have already been through this process with CentOS 5.2 (RHES 5.2) with
the same goal in mind, to avoid messing with the packaged perl.

My system is currently running as follows:

CentOS 5.2
Perl 5.8.10
Apache 2.2.10
mod_perl 2.0.4

My solution was to:

Install Perl 5.8.10 from src using default install path (/usr/local/)
Make sure /usr/local/bin/perl showed up in $PATH before /usr/bin/perl

Note: From this point all perl activities effect the 5.8.10 install
since it's binaries come first in the path.

Install mod_perl
Install RT required modules via cpan
Install RT

This is much cleaner than my previous install under CentOS 4.x in which
I attempted to maintain the packaged perl installation via cpan and
force the OS not to update it via yum/up2date.  With the new config the
'system perl' installation is untouched except for when system updates
are applied, none of which would effect the RT installation stack.

Todd