[rt-users] Editing Comments or Replies

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 3 11:38:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:19:15 -0400, stretchoutandwait
<stretchoutandwait at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Alan Cheng <chenga at ias.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Is there a way to edit a comment or reply once it's in a ticket?  I
>> understand we can always add another comment but I am just wondering...
>> Are there any specific reasons why we shouldn't have this "feature"?
>> One of our RT users is asking this question and I would like to see if
>> RT community has any suggestions.  Or is there a third-party
>> contribution for this feature?  I did a quick search but no match came
>> up.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan
>

> Sorry, but I've gotta ask: without disturbing this list's fitness for
> family
> viewing, what found its way into your RT instance that shouldn't have?
>
> As Helmuth and Tim wrote, the audit trail should not be compromised.

I don't really see a business reason for comments/replies not to be
editable, as long as a record of edits were kept. You can argue that the
content of a reply or comment is data, not an audit trail entry. There are
a bunch of reasons why you might want to edit entries - removing redundant
quoted text, correcting factual errors, or removing anything offensive or
confidential.

Our help desk was very interested in being able to edit comments, but the
thing that made us shy away from implementing this was a cryptic comment
about bad performance implications in the code (Transaction_Overlay.pm),
and the fact that we found acceptable workarounds:

 from Transaction_Overlay.pm:

# Transactions don't change. by adding this cache congif directiove, we
don't lose pathalogically on long tickets.
sub _CacheConfig {
   {
      'cache_p'        => 1,
      'fast_update_p'  => 1,